- 43 liter tank (approximately 11.5 gallons) built by HPN in Germany to accomodate long distance adventure touring on the BMW R80G/S, R80GS, GS Basic and R100GS. Will not work on GS-PD models unless the fairing is removed or substantially modified (see photo link).
- Very comfortable shape to accomodate long distance riding.
- Low center of gravity; bike is easy to handle even if fuel tank is full as the weight of the gas is carried low in the tank's lobes.
- Made of non-dentable, automotive-grade nylon composite material that can be lacquered over or painted (tank comes unpainted in a slightly see-through natural plastic color).
- German TUV Type Approval included.
- When mounted on the R100GS, the seat pan needs to be trimmed slightly.
- Fairing of later airhead GS models needs to be and the oilcooler (if installed) needs to be relocated from the crash bar to under the steering head (using part number 040-0255)
If you are planning to ride the time-tested, world-proven airhead GS on a long distance adventure this 43 liter tank from HPN (builder of BMW's Dakar-winning R100GSs in the 1980s) along with other parts such as the WP Front Suspension Kit
and Touratech panniers
are excellent additions to the bike to facilitate comfortable riding on long distances of unimproved roads and through areas where opportunities to refill may be limited.
This is a special order item, pre-paid orders only by check or wire transfer, refunds and returns are not possible if purchased.
A similar looking tank is available from other suppliers in a polyethylene version and cannot be painted. The tank sold by Touratech is made of nylon (allowing it to be painted) and holds German TUV certification that it is road legal, it is not known if the polyethylene version can meet that certification.